- Idris Elba Curates Limited Fela Kuti Vinyl Set with Classics, Art and Documentary via OkayAfrica
- Odumodublvck, a Lagos-born Musician, Talks About his Music, Skepta, the UK and More via Hypebeast
- Billie Zangewa's Personal Creation for Louis Vuitton Draws Inspiration from a Cherished Swimming Scene via Architectural Digest
- CJ Obasi's 'Mami Wata' Nominated for Nigeria's 2024 Oscar Submission: A Cultural Showcase via OkayAfrica
- South African Restaurants Wins “Africa’s Best Culinary Destination” at Dubai's World Culinary Awards via IOL
- Rema to Headline South Africa's Largest Afrobeats Festival via Notjustok
- Nigerian Artist WurlD Announces 'Don't Get Used to This' EP via OkayAfrica
Get these stories delivered to your inbox
Join 3,400+ subscribers and get our 5-min weekly newsletter on the best stories and global news on Africa(ns).
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Now, on to the real peel...
Idris Elba Curates Limited Fela Kuti Vinyl Set with Classics, Art and Documentary
Idris Elba curates Fela Kuti Box Set #6, celebrating Afrobeat legend with iconic records, exclusive artwork and a documentary exploring Fela's cultural impact. Limited to 5,000 copies, this vinyl collection replicates original album art, includes a booklet, and features a short documentary, "Fela Kuti: The Legacy," with interviews from key figures. This release continues the tradition of notable curators like Chris Martin, Erykah Badu, and Questlove, showcasing Fela's enduring influence on fashion, culture and activism.
Odumodublvck, Lagos-born Musician, Talks About his Music, Skepta, the UK and More
Lagos-born musician Odumodublvck, inspired by UK culture and Skepta, has released a UK-based single "Declan Rice," blending hip-hop and R&B. He hopes to create a unique path and maintain consistency in his music career. Odumodublvck plans to perform in the UK and release a new record with a UK artist, reflecting the cultural blend of the UK and Nigeria.
Billie Zangewa's Personal Creation for Louis Vuitton Draws Inspiration from a Cherished Swimming Scene
South African artist Billie Zangewa's "The Swimming Lesson" is now a Louis Vuitton Artycapucines handbag, featuring her son's pool experiences and a limited edition bag with metallic embroidery and penguin charms. The collaboration reflects Zangewa's artistic journey and her deep connection to her son's influence on her creativity, showcasing her intricate silk collages and unfinished elements.
CJ Obasi's 'Mami Wata' Nominated for Nigeria's 2024 Oscar Submission: A Cultural Showcase
Nigeria's 'Mami Wata' is set to compete for the 2024 Oscars in the International Feature Film category. The monochromatic film, directed by CJ Obasi, tells the story of a West African goddess's fading influence in a struggling village. Despite recent struggles for Nigerian films in the Oscars' International Feature Film category, the film's unique storytelling and cinematography have garnered significant attention. The 96th Oscars ceremony is scheduled for March 10, 2024.
South African Restaurants Wins “Africa’s Best Culinary Destination” at Dubai's World Culinary Awards
South Africa's culinary scene, known for its quality ingredients and wine regions, was recognised at the World Culinary Awards in Dubai. The country was named "Africa's Best Culinary Destination" and Cape Town "Africa's Best Culinary City Destination." South African restaurants, including Pier Restaurant, Siba The Restaurant, Salsify, TANG, and The 11th Floor, were also honoured for their unique culinary experiences and scenic locations.
Rema to Headline South Africa's Largest Afrobeats Festival
MTV Award-winning Afrobeats sensation Rema is set to headline South Africa's Hey Neighbour Music Festival alongside Kendrick Lamar. The three-day event, taking place in Pretoria from December 8-10, 2023, will feature a diverse lineup of African and global artists. Heineken, Coca-Cola, Kit-Kat, and MTV are partners in this celebration aimed at connecting neighbourhoods through music. Rema has also submitted his work for potential consideration at the 66th Grammy Awards, scheduled for February 4, 2024.
Nigerian Artist WurlD Announces 'Don't Get Used to This' EP
Nigerian singer-songwriter WurlD is set to release his EP, "Don't Get Used To This," on November 10. The EP features the single "Sarafina" and the summer anthem "Location," a collaboration with Afrobeats producer Sarz. WurlD's music blends Afrobeats and R&B, emphasising living in the moment. The EP marks his evolution as a singer, songwriter, and producer, rooted in Lagos rhythm.
If you enjoy reading this newsletter, Forward To A Friend and let them know they can also subscribe for free via this link
Song of the Week
Discover the best afrocentric experiences in London 🇬🇧 From concerts, nightlife, culture, pop-ups, supper clubs and plenty more...We’ve got you covered! Here's a selection of events and experiences happening this week...
- 09-29 Oct | René Tavares Debut Solo Exhibition (FREE)
- 24 Oct | Odeal, Here at Outernet
- 24 Oct | Morito Music: Abdoulaye Samb (Supper Club)
- 26 Oct | Directors Conversation: Imruh Bakari talks to Kwesi Owusu (FREE)
- 27 Oct | Eparapo feat. Dele Sosimi
- 27 Oct | Reunion & 206 Events present: AFRICAN HORROR STORY
- 27 Oct | Nigerian Cookery Class with Charity | Veg Friendly
- 27 Oct | UK release of Ayaanle The Movie + Q&A
- 27-29 Oct | Africa Fashion Week London
- 28 Oct | Karen Nyame KG - The KG Experience
- 28 Oct | Behind The Veil Movie Premiere
The Ultimate Lifestyle Membership
Experience a unique membership that gives you access to premium Afrocentric content and experiences such as curated events, restaurant openings, exhibitions, supper clubs and more.Become a paid member 🎉
Anything else? Hit reply to send us feedback or say hello. You can also follow us on our social media platforms @marmaladecollective
Apply to join our invite-only Collective! Connect with like-minded creators and influencers who want to create, earn and grow together — apply here