- Barbican Showcases Julianknxx's Blackness Exploration via i-d-vice
- Tresor Signs a Global Co-publishing Agreement with Sony Music Publishing via Hypemagazine
- A Marmalade Guide to ALT WORLD: Celebrating Creativity, Inclusivity and Diversity via Marmalade Collective
- Apple Music’s 'Oshe Naija' for Nigeria's Independence Day Celebration via OkayAfrica
- Stonebwoy and Angelique Kidjo Collaborate in "Manodzi" Video, Celebrating Global African Music via OkayAfrica
- Justyna Obasi Directs Captivating Adidas Samba Campaign via Adidas
- Senegalese Newcomer Seydou Sarr Grabs Marcello Mastroianni Award at the 80th Venice Film Fest via OkayAfrica
Get these stories delivered to your inbox
Join 3,000+ subscribers and get our 5-min weekly newsletter on the best stories and global news on Africa(ns).
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Now, on to the real peel...
Barbican Showcases Julianknxx's Blackness Exploration
Sierra Leonean London-based artist Julianknxx, also known as Julian Knox, presents a public exhibition, "Chorus in Rememory of Flight," at London's Barbican Centre. The exhibition, which combines film, choral music, and spoken poetry, explores shared Black histories in European port cities. Drawing from African culture, it challenges notions of home and identity. The exhibition encourages active participation and celebrates communal singing, symbolizing hope and joy, and the power of music to unite and soothe.
Tresor Signs a Global Co-publishing Agreement with Sony Music Publishing
African Pop artist TRESOR has signed a global co-publishing deal with Sony Music Publishing, expanding his international presence. His music will be published by Sony Music Publishing and Jacquel Music Publishing, a division of his own Jacquel Entertainment Group. TRESOR joins a prestigious roster of songwriters like Michael Jackson, Jay-Z, and Ed Sheeran. Sony Music Publishing executives welcomed him and praised his creative talent.
A Marmalade Guide to ALT WORLD: Celebrating Creativity, Inclusivity and Diversity
ALT WORLD, a fashion and creativity platform, launched an alternative fashion week at Samsung KX, promoting diversity and inclusivity. The event featured six trailblazing stylists, panels featuring Black female designers and Gen Z stylists, and explored the intersection of fashion and technology. It emphasized community building and aimed to revolutionize the fashion and tech landscape, fostering positive influence on the creative industries.
Apple Music’s 'Oshe Naija' for Nigeria's Independence Day Celebration
Apple Music is marking Nigeria's 63rd independence anniversary with its Oshe Naija campaign, showcasing the country's influential music heritage. Leading Nigerian artists, including Burna Boy, Wizkid, Davido, Rema, and Asake, have achieved remarkable success on Apple Music's global platform, setting records and dominating charts. This celebration of Nigerian music can be experienced on Apple Music's dedicated Oshe Naija space, underscoring the genre's growing global reach and impact.
Stonebwoy and Angelique Kidjo Collaborate in "Manodzi" Video, Celebrating Global African Music
Afro-Dancehall star Stonebwoy collaborates with Grammy icon Angelique Kidjo on the "Manodzi" music video for his "5th Dimension" album. The Ghanaian musician celebrates self-assurance and determination in the video. Stonebwoy's international tour follows the North American leg, and their partnership celebrates African music's global influence, bridging generations and continents. Their collaboration bridges generations and celebrates African music's global influence.
Justyna Obasi Directs Captivating adidas Samba Campaign
Justyna Obasi, a Polish-Nigerian filmmaker, has crafted a captivating film for adidas Originals, celebrating the iconic Samba sneaker. The film encapsulates the mythical journey of the Samba, tracing its evolution across eras and landscapes. Justyna's intuitive approach to filmmaking has earned her a portfolio of award-winning campaigns for companies like Meta, Google, and Adidas, including her co-directed Facebook film "Skate Nation Ghana.”
Senegalese Newcomer Seydou Sarr Grabs Marcello Mastroianni Award at 80th Venice Film Fest
Seydou Sarr won the Marcello Mastroianni prize for Best Young Actor at the Venice Film Festival for his role in "Io Capitano," a film about two young boys' journey from Dakar to Europe. The film, directed by Matteo Garrone, highlights the harsh realities of migration and underscores the importance of addressing immigration issues in Europe.
If you enjoy reading this newsletter, Forward To A Friend and let them know they can also subscribe for free via this link
Song of the Week
Discover the best afrocentric experiences in London 🇬🇧 From concerts, nightlife, culture, pop-ups, supper clubs and plenty more...We’ve got you covered! Here's a selection of events and experiences happening this week...
- 01-31 Oct | Rumble in the Jungle
- 02 Oct | A Night with Keitu The Songbird
- 03 Oct | A Night With Rebecca Winter
- 05 Oct | Juju's Presents: Misterrcha
- 06 Oct | The Bowl - Bowling, Karaoke & Party
- 06 Oct | Juls Black October: 4 Fridays at Jazz Cafe
- 06 Oct | African & Carribean Supper Club
- 06 Oct | Afrikana at the O2 (Grand Opening)
- 06 Oct | APSC BA Presents - Udjá Cosmetics in the UK Market (FREE)
- 06-20 Oct | Ekomo Art Exhibition: Celebrating the Rhythms of Africa
- 07 Oct | Joshua Baraka at Village Underground
- 07 Oct | AB Dollars House Party VI
- 08 Oct | Faded x Boxout - Ballie Ballerson Takeover
- 06 Oct | AfroEats Village Block Party (FREE)
The Ultimate Lifestyle Membership
Experience a unique membership that gives you access to premium Afrocentric content and experiences such as curated events, restaurant openings, exhibitions, supper clubs and more.Become a paid member 🎉
Anything else? Hit reply to send us feedback or say hello. You can also follow us on our social media platforms @marmaladecollective
Apply to join our invite-only Collective! Connect with like-minded creators and influencers who want to create, earn and grow together — apply here